Categories
World News

Man dies in shark attack at popular tourist beach in Australia

A 55-year-old man has died after being attacked by a shark in Western Australia, the eighth fatality in the country this year.

Police were called to Cable Beach, a popular tourist spot on Australia’s Indian Ocean coast, at about 8.40am on Sunday.

The man was pulled from the water with serious injuries and treated by police before paramedics arrived. He died at the scene, police said.

Local media reports said the man was bitten on the upper thigh and hand.

The species of shark involved in the attack is not known.

Park rangers immediately closed the beach and a fishing vessel was assigned to patrol the area.

The man was the eighth victim to die in a shark attack in Australia this year, the highest toll since 1929 when nine died.

The most recent previous attack in Esperance, Western Australia, occurred on 9 October when a surfer was dragged from his board by a shark, according to his companions.

His body wasn’t found despite a three-day search but his surfboard and parts of his wetsuit were located.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Shark horror: Hurricane Dorian survivor suffers BRUTAL injury after horror Bahamas attack

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Anthony Feaster, 36, spoke about his nightmare encounter with the shark in the waters off the East End, Grand Bahama. Mr Feaster also was in the pathway of Hurricane Dorian in 2019, which swept through Sweetings Cay, also on the Grand Bahama. Shark attacks are rare, but this year has seen 68 total so far and 2019 seeing 101.

Mr Feaster spoked to The Tribune, a news outlet on the island, about his horror encounter with the Shark while he was fishing with a friend.

He said: “I felt something clasp onto my hand wrist, and without thinking at all, I started to wrestle with this thing.

“I remember pulling my hand out of its mouth, and that is how I really got away from it and received all that damage; and why my hand is all torn the way it is because – I pulled it out of its mouth.”

While the encounter lasted no more than five seconds before the spear fisherman wrestled the shark off, it managed to rip through several tendons in his right hand and wrist.

Mr Feaster also added that the shark was “about 10 to 12 ft long” and “dashed away” following the brief but brutal encounter.

With the help of his partner Mr Feaster was able to reenter the boar, before the pair headed back to nearby McLean’s Town.

He added: “I lost a lot of blood; it was a lot of blood in the boat.

“I don’t know how all that blood came out of me and I didn’t die.”

Last year Hurricane Dorian stuck the Bahama’s and caused major damage to the islands.

Mr Feaster said the tropical storm destroyed his family’s home and his boat, which he has yet to begin rebuilding while living in Freeport due to a lack of funds.

He said to The Nassau Guardian: “When I left my home, it was brand spanking new. When I got back, it was a pile of rubble. Nothing was left there (…)

“I lost my boat and everything. So, this particular event here is just one next thing that went wrong.”

DON’T MISS

Shark attack horror – Man in critical condition with massive injuries [TERROR]
South African sharks are being found with their hearts ripped out [REVEAL]

325 million-year-old fossils uncover six new species of ancient shark [INSIGHT]

Now, because of the shark attack, surgeons have told the spearfisher it will likely be a year until he has finished rehabilitation.

He added to the Tribune: “I have a son I have to take care of; the house is gone in the storm and I was just in the process of trying to build that back”.

Mr Feaster has stressed he cannot wait to get back to fishing, and after he had his first shark encounter when he was 17 years old has said “I am not afraid to the point that I will never go back into the water again or spearfishing again.”

He also said his priority is to rebuild his Sweetings Cay home, and added: “Before the storm, I had spent eight years building my house there and I didn’t live in it for two years before the storm destroyed it.”

So far this year 68 shark attacks have been reported across the world, with all of them leading to injury.

Website TrackingSharks also reported nine fatal shark attacks this year.

Of the number reported, 32 have been seen in the US and 21 have occurred in Australia.

In 2019, a 21-year-old woman was mauled by tiger sharks at the island before dying at Nassau Hospital.

Source: Read Full Article