Categories
World News

Man dies in shark attack at popular tourist beach in Australia

A 55-year-old man has died after being attacked by a shark in Western Australia, the eighth fatality in the country this year.

Police were called to Cable Beach, a popular tourist spot on Australia’s Indian Ocean coast, at about 8.40am on Sunday.

The man was pulled from the water with serious injuries and treated by police before paramedics arrived. He died at the scene, police said.

Local media reports said the man was bitten on the upper thigh and hand.

The species of shark involved in the attack is not known.

Park rangers immediately closed the beach and a fishing vessel was assigned to patrol the area.

The man was the eighth victim to die in a shark attack in Australia this year, the highest toll since 1929 when nine died.

The most recent previous attack in Esperance, Western Australia, occurred on 9 October when a surfer was dragged from his board by a shark, according to his companions.

His body wasn’t found despite a three-day search but his surfboard and parts of his wetsuit were located.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Murder charge after man dies in incident in West Auckland

A man has been charged with murder after a 62-year-old died after an incident in West Auckland last night.

Police were called to Waitaki St, in Glendene, about 9.15pm yesterday.

“Police were called to a disturbance at an address,” a statement said.

“Police have located a man seriously injured and sadly he has died at the scene.”

Police confirmed at 11.05am, that the man who later died was aged 62.

“Despite efforts to provide him with medical assistance, he died at the scene,” police said.

After a search, a 39-year-old man was located and has since been charged with murder.

“Police have been making enquiries overnight to locate the alleged offender and he was spotted by an off-duty Police officer this morning who called 111,” Detective Inspector Kevin McNaughton said.

“Police quickly arrived and located the 39-year-old man.

“The alleged offender and victim were believed to have been known to each other.”

A scene examination is taking place at the property.

A witness at the scene last night told the Herald a woman could be seen crouching near a power transformer looking “downhearted”.

The Police Eagle helicopter hovered overhead and a police dog unit was also brought in, he said.

“Two people were removed from the scene by detectives shortly after 10pm – neither were in handcuffs,” he said.

Officers were also seen taking away a dog from the property.

They kept to themselves

Several residents whose homes were within a cordon put up by police had to wait for some time before being allowed back into their properties, the witness said.

A neighbour said the family generally kept to themselves.

“They have been working on their house lately – on trees and stuff,” they said.

Another update is due later today, police said.

“Our community can be assured we have a team of police officers working quickly to identify the person or persons involved in this incident.”

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Healthy 15-year-old boy dies after suffering cardiac arrest at Auckland’s Armageddon convention

A teenage boy has died after suffering a cardiac arrest while attending a pop culture convention in Auckland last month.

Orewa College student Alex Haselden was at the Armageddon Expo at Auckland’s ASB Showgrounds when he collapsed after telling his friends he was dizzy.

The 15-year-old was placed on life support but died a week later on Halloween, October 31, after doctors determined there was nothing more they could do.

“At the far too early age of 15 and whilst on a day out with his friends, Alex had a massive cardiac arrest.

“Doctors still don’t really understand the reason and are continuing to investigate. Alex was left in a coma with suspected brain damage due to a lack of oxygen when it happened,” a family friend wrote on Alex’s GiveALittle.

“Tragically, after a week of testing and hoping, doctors concluded that the damage was catastrophic with no chance of recovery.

“Life support was withdrawn and Alex peacefully passed away on 31st October, surrounded by the love of his mum, sister and dad; Jo, Maddie and Nick. His grandparents and wider family are in the UK.”

Haselden didn’t have any known underlying health conditions, with the news coming as a shock to friends and family.

Doctors told Alex’s mum, Joanne, he has suffered a “sudden cardiac arrest”, something rare for someone his age.

He was resuscitated at the scene by paramedics and placed into an induced coma.

However, there was no chance of recovery and it was decided to turn his life support off.

“Alex was much loved by his family and friends and will be sorely missed for many years to come,” a family friend said.

Alex’s friends put him into a recovery position and waited for paramedics. He spent about 10 minutes without oxygen.

Joanne believes if first aid knowledge was more widely known, and CPR was performed, her son might still be here today.

So far over $18,000 has been raised for Alex’s family, which will go towards funeral costs, travel quarantine costs of his family travelling from the UK, and supporting the family in the near term.

More than 300 people have donated.

To donate, click here.

Source: Read Full Article